Monday, April 18, 2011

Difficulty Paper #1

Like more than half of the class I have just started reading the Scarlet Letter and it is proving to be difficult. Over the weekend I finished the Custom House, which is supposed to be an intoduction to the Scarlet Letter. After reading this I feel that I have no better understanding of what will go on and I'm hesitant to read the actually text of the Scarlet Letter. I was very confused on what was being said and had to go back and re-read sections but that still didn't make a lot of sense after doing that. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problems? Or if people just skipped the introduction and when straight to the Scarlet Letter? I'm going to start to read again tonight and hope that once I start that it will prove to make more sense, nothing is more frustrating than to be reading and nothing is making sense.

2 comments:

  1. Ohkay, so a few things: 1) I still have no clue what the Scarlett Letter is about. 2) I didn't read the Custom House, maybe that would help me? 3) I too have just began reading the Scarlett Letter, like within the first ten pages, and I'm already so confused and lost, and don't see how this is relevent to our class. But maybe on the other hand, it's not supposed to be relevent. I guess irrelevence once in a while is a good thing? Keeps things interesting and keeps us guessing, I guess? 4) I can't believe the syllabus says to FINISH this text. Yeah, because that ain't happening any time soon. I don't really understand how I'm all of a sudden so far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not a class problem its a class plague. Haha yeah. Sorry about that one! But yes I as well tried to read the customs house, I think I could make out old Chinese ancient scripture faster then I could understand what the gibberish Hawthorne was even beginning to explain. They really ought to re-make it ( not a movie) but the actual book, just word by word translate it but into modern English.

    ReplyDelete